故事里只有两个人:“我”和Randy.
那天,“我”发现Randy踩着梯子登高处理一个内部带压的阀门。登高没系安全带,系统内带压维修作业,都违背了安全规定。“我”本想制止,可又怕他不高兴,引起争吵。再一想,这又不是第一次了,过去从来没出过事,他已经驾轻就熟了。所以,“我”没有制止,而是摇了摇头,走开了。“我”刚刚离开现场,系统内的气体突然喷出,正在作业的Randy从高空摔下身亡。
主观上说,这是Randy的过错,可是,“我”痛苦地说:“那天,本来我可以挽救一个生命,但是,我却选择了视而不见。”
这是“我”的切身体会,是用生命换来的血的教训,从而也给我们每一个人敲响了警钟。
I Chose To Look The Other Way
我选择了视而不见
(作者Don Merrell,从事安全工作40年,写下大量关于安全的诗篇。)
I could have saved a life that day,
那天我本可以拯救一个生命,
But I chose to look the other way.
但是我却选择了视而不见。
It wasn’t that I didn’t care,
并非我没有发现,
I had the time, and I was there.
我就在现场,并且我有时间。
But I didn’t want to seem a fool,
只是我不想像个傻瓜,
Or argue over a safety rule.
为一个安全的规则而喋喋不休。
I knew he’d done the job before;
我知道他以前做过这个工作;
If I spoke up he might get sore.
如果我出言指责,他一定会大发脾气。
The chances didn’t seem that bad;
并且,事情看起来也没那么危险;
I’d done the same, he knew I had.
我以前也这样干过,这他也知道。
So I shook my head and walked on by;
所以,我摇摇头走开了;
He knew the risks as well as I.
他应当和我一样明白其中的风险。
He took the chance, I closed an eye;
他铤而走险,我却睁一只眼闭一只眼;
And with that act, I let him die.
正因为如此,我眼睁睁的看着他死去。
I could have saved a life that day,
那天我本可以拯救一个生命,
But I chose to look the other way.
但我却选择了视而不见。
Now every time I see his wife,
如今我每次看到他的太太,
I know I should have saved his life.
我都会自责未能挽救他的生命。
That guilt is something I must bear;
我心中永远承受那份愧疚;
But it isn’t something you need share.
希望这种感觉你不会拥有。
If you see a risk that others take,
如果你看到别人在冒风险,
That puts their health or life at stake,
拿他们的健康或生命在做试验,
The question asked or thing you say;
只需责问一句或提醒一番,
Could help them live another day.
就能帮他们活过明天。
If you see a risk and walk away,
如果你看见别人铤而走险,而你却置之不理,
Then hope you never have to say,
但愿你永远别说:
“I could have saved a life that day,“
我那天本可以拯救一个生命,
But I chose to look the other way.”
但我却选择了视而不见。”
(来源:中国安全生产报)