[复制链接]

营长

最后登录
2012-4-5
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
ff88egab 发表于 2012-4-5 17:09:00 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
  [BR]which I do not understand one [BR]For the fact is this : At the age of seventy and more, I now for the first time appear in a court of justice ; I am, therefore, a complete stranger to the ways? The sentiments both of Schleiermacher and of Mr. Thirlwall may be found at fall length in the sixth number of the' Philological Museum.'No. 98. Kof speaking in this place. As then, if I were really a stranger, you would have pardoned me for speaking in the language and style in which I was brought up, so I now ask of you this justice, as it appears to me, that you will disregard the manner of my speech—which perhaps may be better, perhaps worse—but consider and attend to this, whether what I say is just or not. For that is the excellence of a judge; an orator's is to speak the truth.I have to defend myself first, O Athenians, from the first false accusations against me, and from my first accusers; Coach Outlet and afterwards from the more recent ones. For I have had many accusers; who have spoken falsely of me now for many years: whom I fear more than Anytus and his associates, although these also are formidable; but those are still more so, O Athenians, who have begun with most of you from your childhood upwards, and poured into your ears false accusations of me, saying that there is one Socrates, a wise man, who has explored the things which are in the sky and under the earth, and who makes the worse appear the better reason. They, O Athenians, who have spread such a character of me, arc my really dangerous accusers ; for their hearers believe that those who are addicted to such inquiries do not even believe in gods.* These accusers, too, are numerous ; they have now spoken ill of me for a long time, and to many of you in the most credulous time of your lives, when you were children, or mere lads, and with all the advantage of an undefended cause, no one replying to them. And, what is hardest of all, one cannot so much as know the names of any of these people, except, perhaps, a play-writer or so.t Neither they who, by calumnies and invidious speaking, have wrought upon you, nor they who, being themselves persuaded, have persuaded others, can be cited to appear in this place. I cannot confute them, but must fight, as it were, with shadows, and refute when there is no one here to answer my questions. Consider, then, that I have to do with two sets of accusers, my present ones, and those ancient ones whom I have mentioned ; and observe, that I must reply to the old accusers first, for you heard them first, and during a much longer time than these later ones.Be it so, then ; I must defend myself, and endeavour to expel from your minds, in so short a time, the calumny which has had so long a time to fix itself there. I should be glad (if it be for your good and my own) that this were possible; but I think it is difficult; I do not conceal from myself the weightiness of the task. The event, however, must be as the god pleases. I must obey the law, and make my defence.Let us go back, then, to the beginning, and see upon what accusation has been founded that prejudice against me, in reliance on which Melitus has Coach Factory Outlet brought the present impeachment. What, then, did my assailants allege? for we must consider them as accusers, and read the words of their indictment. ' Socrates is guilty of occupying himself with frivolous and criminal pursuits; exploring the things which are under the earth and in the sky ; and making the worse appenr the better reason ; and teaching others to do the same.' Something of this sort is* Thia passago, and much other evidence, shows that physical speculation of a recondite kind was regarded by the Greeks as a sort of black art, like witchcraft and sorcery among the moderns: ' an attempt to know more than is permitted.' There js remarkable sameness in superstition, all over the world.t 'rA.ii, i" ni nu/tyiixuif Tuy^am m. An allusion to Aristophanes, and his comedy of 'The Clouds,' a gross and ignorant libel on Socrates.what they impute to me ; and you have yourselves seen, in the comedy of Aristophanes, a certain Socrates, who professes to walk the air, with much other trifling, about which I do not understand one jot.
分享分享0 收藏收藏0 转发到微博

司令

最后登录
2014-4-10
帖子

论坛元老

沙发
追曦 发表于 2012-4-6 06:38:00 |只看该作者

看不懂。

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

手机版|易安论坛 ( 京ICP备11028188号  

GMT+8, 2024-4-24 08:12 , Processed in 0.433005 second(s), 33 queries .

© 2006-2014 易安网.

易安论坛程序支持:Comsenz Inc & Discuz!X

回顶部