查看: 1282|回复: 0

Worcester ?' ' Yes.' ? Further,

[复制链接]

营长

最后登录
2012-4-5
帖子
ff88egab 发表于 2012-4-5 16:56:00 |显示全部楼层
  [BR]Worcester ?' ' Yes.' ? Further, [BR]Must echo here: within this leafy dome Soft-gushing melodies high o'er me swell From two enamour'd birds, to shadow come To bless each other with a summer song, Whilst yet the earth is green and daylight long. O, god Apollo ! there be million pleasures Which thine eternal lyre can ne'er express, That warble in these winged poets' measures, Full flowing from their little hearts' excess ! I know not what may be the rhymed treasures That have been lost in old Time's Coach Factory Outlet wilderness; But well I weet that never human lipsBreath'd love to love with sweeter soul-eclipse!They chant, till their own exquisite melodies Entrance them into silence, and they flit Mutely among the leaves : the gleaming flies, Whose wings are rainbows, as with ether lit, Around me wheel with stirring harmonies That ne'er from dawn to twilight intermit; And deep in yon green cave a veiled streamMurmurs like thoughts of Heaven in a dream.Alphonse de Lamartine ! Come hither, hither— Furling thy sullen spirit's eagle pinion, As mine is furl'd; and let us weave together A sunny song of panting Love's dominion Over the universe! let us wear etherUnclouded in our hearts, leaving the minionOf common life to strive with common sorrow,And with our lyres assert the joy of Heaven's morrow! ' I am here! but not rejoicing With thine idle gladness ; From the music round us voicing I but gather sadness: Thou sittest on a tree uprooted, Which shall no more be leav'd or fruited ; Those minstrel birds, the bird of prey, Or winter and its want, shall slay ; Those insects are each other's slaughter j And the sweet music of the water, Yon emerald cavern's mystic river, The falling earth strikes dumb for ever!' I would reply; but, hark to that pure strain Those wiser bards sing in the boughs again! ?W*AMERICAN SKETCHES,JOTTED DOWN DURINO A COUNTRY RAMBLE IN NEW ENGLAND.' A Light heart and a thin pair of breeches go through the world.' Now, thought I, as I have as much of the one as cost me two dollars and a half, and as much of the other as falls to the lot of any common man, why should not I make a try ? So, without more ado, I packed up a compendious bundle, containing a miscellany not very unlike that of the man with the great nose when he entered the town of Strasburg. I had been shut up for six months in a narrow room in a narrow street in Boston. I will just gallop off to the lakes, said I, skip over the Green Mountains, climb the highlands of New Hampshire, and be back again with such luck as may betide me. No sooner said than done ; the next morning, at one o'clock, I found myself in the stage bound for Northampton. The waning moon hung low in the east, faintly gilding the spires of the city, and the still waters of the bay reflected her beams, unruffled by a breeze. We rattled off at a great pace, and soon lost sight of busy Boston. The night w as cool, and, as we proceeded into the country, we found a thick mist, that, as the morning broke, settled into the valleys; and they thus appeared like great lakes full of islands, from the hills and tree tops rising above the surface of white fog. The rising sun dissipated this great sea of vapour, and all became verdant and smiling. We stopped to breakfast at the village of Framingharn.' Pray, Mr. Landlord, where is the post-office V asked I of the man as he stood at his bar. * This is the post-office,' replied he. ' And where is the postmaster ?' ' Why I am postmaster.' ' I dare say, then, you have a letter for me.' ' I'll look,' returned he; so fumbling among the punch-bottles and Coach Outlet Online segar-boxes on a shelf behind him, he drew it out. ' You have a way Coach Factory Store of mixing business,' said I. ' That's a fact,' said he; ' if a man can drive two trades under one roof, why should'nt he ? It stands to reason, for it saves rent, and fills up odd hours.'' Well, ma'am,' said one of our inquisitive companions to an oldish lady, after we had taken our seats again, ' you are going, I suppose, as far as Worcester ?' ' Yes.' ? Further, perhaps ?'Yes.' To Northampton ?' ' Yes.' ' To Albany ?' ' Yes.'? To Buffalo ?' ' Yes.' ' How much further ?' Why to Mesopotamia, in Ohio.' ' Bless me! all alone ?'
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

手机版|易安论坛 ( 京ICP备11028188号  

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 21:27 , Processed in 0.351296 second(s), 35 queries .

© 2006-2014 易安网.

易安论坛程序支持:Comsenz Inc & Discuz!X

回顶部